Perth Zoo Guide: Everything You Need to Know
The Perth Zoo is one of Australia’s most popular tourist attractions, and for good reason. It’s home to over 1,250 animals from 130 different species, and it’s a great place to learn about and see some of the world’s most amazing wildlife.
Whether you’re a local or a visitor, this Perth Zoo guide will help you plan your visit and make the most of your time at the zoo.
Animals to See
The Perth Zoo is divided into several different areas, each with its own unique wildlife. Here are some of the most popular animals to see in each area:
- African Savannah: African lions, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, hippos, and meerkats
- Asian Rainforest: Orangutans, red pandas, Sumatran tigers, Malayan tapirs, and Asian elephants
- Australian Bushwalk: Koalas, kangaroos, emus, wombats, and Tasmanian devils
- Gorilla Enclosure: Western lowland gorillas
- Aquarium: Sharks, penguins, sea turtles, and a variety of fish and other marine life
In addition to these popular animals, there are many other fascinating creatures to see at the Perth Zoo. Be sure to check the zoo’s website or map for a complete list of animals and their locations.
Things to Do
In addition to seeing the animals, there are a variety of other things to do at the Perth Zoo:
- Take a guided tour: Learn about the zoo’s animals and conservation initiatives from a knowledgeable guide.
- Attend an animal feeding session: Watch the zookeepers feed some of the animals, and learn about their diets and eating habits.
- Watch a show or presentation: The zoo offers a variety of shows and presentations throughout the day, including animal encounters, keeper talks, and educational programs.
- Ride the carousel: Enjoy a classic carousel ride, suitable for all ages.
- Play in the playground: Let the kids burn off some energy at the zoo’s playground.
- Have a picnic: There are several picnic areas throughout the zoo where you can enjoy a packed lunch.
- Visit the gift shop: The zoo’s gift shop sells a variety of souvenirs, including animal toys, books, and clothing.
Be sure to check the zoo’s website or calendar for a current list of events and activities.
Tips for Your Visit
Here are a few tips for making the most of your visit to the Perth Zoo:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. You’ll be doing a lot of walking, so make sure you’re comfortable.
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses. The Perth sun can be strong, even on cloudy days.
- Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated. There are water fountains throughout the zoo, but it’s a good idea to bring your own water bottle to stay hydrated, especially on hot days.
- Be respectful of the animals and their environment. Don’t tap on the glass, and don’t try to feed the animals.
- Supervise children at all times. The zoo can be a busy place, so it’s important to keep an eye on your children at all times.
The Perth Zoo is located at 20 Labouchere Road, South Perth WA 6151, Australia. It is open every day of the year from 9am to 5pm, including public holidays. The Zoo also opens for special evening events throughout the year (opening times as advertised).
The cost of admission is $36.30 for adults and $24.90 for children aged 4-15 years. Perth Zoo members are admitted free with a valid membership card.
You can get to the Perth Zoo by car, public transport, bike, or foot.
By car: The Perth Zoo is located just 15km from the Perth CBD and can be reached in around 15 minutes via the Mitchell Freeway. There is ample parking available at the Zoo, for a fee.
By public transport: The Perth Zoo is serviced by bus routes 30 and 31. Buses depart from the Perth Busport and Elizabeth Quay Bus Station every 15 minutes during peak times and every 30 minutes during off-peak times. The journey takes around 20 minutes.
By bike: The Perth Zoo is located on the Swan River Cycle Path, making it easy to cycle to from the Perth CBD or other suburbs along the river. There is a bike rack located at the Zoo entrance.
By foot: The Perth Zoo is located just a short walk from the South Perth foreshore. The walk takes around 10 minutes.
We hope you have a wonderful time at the Perth Zoo! It’s a great place to learn about and see some of the world’s most amazing wildlife.
Here is a map of the Perth Zoo: I hope this information is helpful. Have a great time at the Perth Zoo!