London is a vibrant and exciting city with something to offer everyone, including families. From world-class museums and attractions to fun-filled parks and playgrounds, there are endless opportunities to create lasting memories with your loved ones.
Here are some of the top family-friendly events and activities in London for 2024:
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter: Step into the magical world of Harry Potter and discover how the beloved films were brought to life. Explore iconic sets, see props and costumes up close, and learn special effects secrets.
- Shrek’s Adventure! London: Embark on a hilarious 4D adventure through the DreamWorks animated universe. Meet Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, and other beloved characters from the films, and enjoy interactive experiences along the way.
- SEA LIFE London Aquarium: Dive into an underwater world and encounter thousands of fascinating creatures, from sharks and rays to penguins and sea turtles. Explore interactive exhibits, touch pools, and learn about marine conservation.
- Kidzania: Let your kids experience the world of work at Kidzania, a miniature city where they can try out different professions, from doctor and firefighter to baker and journalist.
- London Transport Museum: Journey through the history of London’s transport system and discover how it has shaped the city. Explore iconic trains, buses, and carriages, and learn about the people who made it all possible.
- Notting Hill Carnival: Immerse yourself in the vibrant colors, sounds, and flavors of the Notting Hill Carnival, Europe’s largest street festival. Enjoy Caribbean music, dancing, and food, and witness the colorful parade of costumes.
- Greenwich + Docklands International Festival: Experience a summer of art, theater, dance, and circus at the Greenwich + Docklands International Festival. See world-class performances, take part in workshops, and explore the festival’s diverse program of events.
- Southbank Centre: Discover a world of creativity and inspiration at the Southbank Centre, a cultural hub with theaters, galleries, and concert halls. Enjoy family-friendly shows, workshops, and events throughout the year.
- Shakespeare’s Globe: Step back in time and experience the magic of Shakespearean theater at Shakespeare’s Globe. Attend a family-friendly performance, take part in a workshop, or explore the Globe’s exhibitions.
- The Royal Observatory: Journey into space and learn about the wonders of the universe at the Royal Observatory. Visit the planetarium, explore the Meridian Line, and admire the views of London from the observatory’s dome.
In addition to the attractions and events mentioned above, here are some more great options for families in London:
Parks and playgrounds
- Hyde Park: One of London’s largest and most popular parks, Hyde Park offers plenty of space for kids to run around and play. There’s also a boating lake, a playground, and a cafe.
- Regent’s Park: With its open spaces, flowerbeds, and boating lake, Regent’s Park is a great place for families to relax and enjoy the outdoors. There’s also a playground and a cafe.
- Battersea Park: Battersea Park is a beautiful park with a variety of attractions for families, including a playground, a boating lake, a zoo, and a miniature railway.
- Richmond Park: Located in Richmond upon Thames, Richmond Park is home to deer, wildfowl, and a golf course. There are also several playgrounds and cafes in the park.
- Hampstead Heath: Hampstead Heath is a large park with stunning views of London. There are several playgrounds, swimming ponds, and a lido in the park.
Museums and galleries
- The British Museum: The British Museum is one of the world’s most famous museums, with a collection of over eight million objects from around the world. Kids will love seeing the mummies, dinosaurs, and samurai armor.
- The Natural History Museum: The Natural History Museum is a great place to learn about animals, plants, and the Earth’s history. Kids will love seeing the dinosaurs, the blue whale skeleton, and the giant squid.
- The Science Museum: The Science Museum is a fascinating museum with exhibits on everything from space exploration to the human body. Kids will love seeing the space rockets, the robots, and the giant heart.
- The V&A: The V&A is a museum of art and design with a collection of over four million objects. Kids will love seeing the fashion, the toys, and the musical instruments.
- The Tate Modern: The Tate Modern is a museum of modern and contemporary art with a collection of over 70,000 works. Kids will love seeing the paintings, the sculptures, and the interactive exhibits.
- Take a ride on the London Eye: The London Eye is a giant Ferris wheel with stunning views of London. Kids will love seeing all the landmarks from up high.
- Visit Buckingham Palace: Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen when she is in London. Kids will love watching the Changing of the Guard.
- Go on a Harry Potter walking tour: There are several Harry Potter walking tours in London that take you to the filming locations of the movies. Kids will love seeing where their favorite scenes were shot.
- See a show in the West End: The West End is London’s theater district, and there are always plenty of family-friendly shows to choose from.
- Take a boat trip on the River Thames: There are several companies that offer boat trips on the River Thames. Kids will love seeing all the famous landmarks from the water.
London is a city with something for everyone, and families are no exception. With its world-class museums and attractions, fun-filled parks and playgrounds, and exciting events and activities, London is the perfect place to create lasting memories with your loved ones.