Delaware is a small state, but it’s home to a wide variety of museums, covering everything from art and history to science and nature. Here are a few of the most popular museums in Delaware:
- Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library: This world-renowned museum is housed in a 175-room Georgian mansion that was once the home of Henry Francis du Pont. Winterthur is known for its extensive collection of American decorative arts, including furniture, paintings, ceramics, and textiles. Visitors can also explore the museum’s beautiful gardens and library.
- Hagley Museum and Library: This museum tells the story of the DuPont family and their businesses, including their gunpowder mills and textile mills. Hagley is located on a scenic stretch of the Brandywine River, and visitors can tour the restored mills, learn about the history of the DuPont family, and explore the museum’s beautiful gardens.
- Delaware Art Museum: This museum has a collection of over 23,000 works of art, including American and European paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. The museum also hosts a variety of special exhibitions throughout the year.
- Delaware Museum of Nature & Science: This museum is a great place to learn about the natural world. The museum has exhibits on dinosaurs, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, and plants. Visitors can also see a variety of live animals, including snakes, lizards, and turtles.
- Air Mobility Command Museum: This museum is located on Dover Air Force Base and is dedicated to the history of the Air Mobility Command. The museum has exhibits on aircraft, airmen, and air missions. Visitors can also see a variety of aircraft, including the C-5 Galaxy, the C-17 Globemaster III, and the KC-10 Extender.
These are just a few of the many museums in Delaware. With so many to choose from, there’s sure to be a museum for everyone.
Museums in Delaware that may be of interest to kids
- Delaware Children’s Museum: This museum is designed for kids of all ages, from toddlers to teens. The museum has interactive exhibits on science, art, and culture. Kids can also play pretend in the museum’s grocery store, firehouse, and hospital.
- Delaware Seashore State Park: Nature Center: This nature center is located in Delaware Seashore State Park and has exhibits on the plants and animals of the Delaware coast. Kids can also learn about the history of the park and the Native Americans who once lived there.
- Delaware Center for Horticulture: This center is located in Wilmington and has a variety of gardens, including a butterfly garden, a children’s garden, and a rose garden. The center also offers a variety of educational programs for kids and adults.
- Zwaanendael Museum: This museum is located in Lewes and tells the story of the first Dutch settlement in Delaware. The museum has exhibits on the Dutch settlers, the Native Americans who lived in the area, and the early history of Delaware.
Museums in Delaware that may be of interest to adults
- New Castle Court House Museum: This museum is located in New Castle and is one of the oldest court houses in the United States. The museum has exhibits on the history of the court house, the colonial era, and the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Old Swedes Historic Site: This historic site is located in Wilmington and tells the story of the Swedish settlement in Delaware. The site includes a church, a parsonage, and a cemetery. Visitors can also tour the restored buildings and learn about the history of the Swedish settlers.
- John Dickinson Plantation: This plantation is located in Dover and was the home of John Dickinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The plantation has restored buildings, including a manor house, a barn, and a smokehouse. Visitors can also tour the plantation grounds and learn about the history of the Dickinson family.
- Delaware Museum of Military History: This museum is located in New Castle and has exhibits on the military history of Delaware. The museum has exhibits on the American Revolution, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War. Visitors can also see a variety of military artifacts, including uniforms, weapons, and vehicles.
I hope this list helps you find the perfect museum for your next visit to Delaware!